HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Google Groups

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

9/30/13 6:29 PM

OT: Google Groups

I'm working on a project where there are a number of people involved and there are a number of emails going back and forth. Needless to say those emails mix in with lots of other emails that people get and one person has suggested I form a Google Group to "consolidate" all the emails on this topic so that it is easier to keep track of this project.

My problem is threefold:
1. I have never participated in a Google Group and so don't know how things work.

2. I assume I would have to ask everyone to "join" and some people might be reluctant to join yet another system that seems to drag you in (like LinkedIn). I don't know that Google Groups does this but it would be a reasonable suspicion.

3. I don't know what's involved in setting up, administering, and maintaining a Google Group.

Any insights anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/30/13 7:09 PM

Participant: thumbs up!

I've been in google groups a few times. They aren't like an octopus, it's more like a mailing list.

From a user perspective:
An invitation arrives
You accept
You post to the group by writing an email to the group. Any email service, I used Outlook and my own email address - so people don't need to use gmail if they don't want.
When the group mail box receives it, the message is copied to everyone in the group - including the original sender (from what I've seen)
Everyone gets a message with a regular email subject, but it's from "the group"

Maybe try setting up a group with yourself and a couple of "test dummy" friends - just to get the hang of it. I doubt google will mind.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

10/1/13 5:33 AM

I don't know if it will help you or not...

...but WebEx is offering a free service for up to 3 people to do online sessions "for life". I just signed up for it this morning.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -