Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

SRAM shifting?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

6/13/13 7:28 AM

quote:
I believe multiple upshifts with current Campy groups are limited to Chorus and above.

Unless Campy changed it, I have the old Veloci (the group below Athena) and it has multiple gear shift.

That said, my cross bike runs Shimano, and I can "shift" my brain between the two within about 10 minutes of riding.

In fact, I have mixed feeling about the two shifting modes. With Shimano, I hit the shifter n times and it shift n gears. With Campy, I push the lever a certain distance (and feel the clicks to stop the push). It shift n gear most of the time. But occasionally, I ended up shifting n+/-1 gear!

I do prefer Campy for the shifter shape above all. But I've gotten used to Shimano (it took almost a year for me not to curse it every time I want to shift multiple gears) enough I would be happy to order it on my own IF they ever come out with a smaller shifter!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/13/13 7:41 AM

I am going to try the PTFE coated cables on my bike to see if it helps. Internal cable routing could contribute to the less than stellar performance of my groupo.

Dave B

6/13/13 8:18 AM

Old

quote:
Unless Campy changed it, I have the old Veloci (the group below Athena) and it has multiple gear shift.

Yes, Campy change it a few years ago when they introduced "Powershift" brifters and those only allow one upshift at a time. Athena has the Powershift brifters too.

The higher lines, Chorus and Record and Super Record, still have "Ultrashift", which does allow multiple upshifts.

And, btw, Centaur is the group below Athena and Veloci is below Centaur.

dan emery

6/13/13 10:43 AM

even better!

Incentive to get upscale Campy!

Actually I'd be looking at Chorus and above anyway (you don't need to tell me it's way better than my riding requires :).

Reply to topic    

Dave B

6/13/13 12:04 PM

quote:
Actually I'd be looking at Chorus and above anyway (you don't need to tell me it's way better than my riding requires :).

Yeah, I put Chorus on my new Litespeed in '06 even though it was way above what I "needed" but it was just what I wanted. I couldn't justify Record but considered Chorus the sweet spot in cost, performance and snob appeal.

About that time I remember reading a comment on the Slowtwitch.com web site to the effect that; "In the past Chorus was the poor man's Record. Now Record is the pretentious man's Chorus."

dan emery

6/13/13 12:37 PM

Join the Chorus

Yeah I have Chorus (from '01) on my cross bike and it's great.

I was just looking at the 11 speed cassette configurations and man, that's a lotta gears...

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/13/13 1:12 PM

Join the chorus if you can...

It'll make of you an honest man.

Brian Nystrom

6/14/13 5:27 AM

How did Tull get into this?

Regardless, I just wanted to make the point that you only need Chorus or above shifters , not the entire group. The derailleurs and shifters are interchangeable. For example, I picked up some used Record shifters for my 'cross bike and paired them with a Centaur rear derailleur (and SRAM XO in front). Works great.

I have Chorus and Record shifters on various bikes and frankly, the cables make more of a difference in shifting performance than the shifters themselves, at least with the 10 speed parts I'm using.

As for Centaur vs. Athena... IIRC, the latter is all aluminum whereas some Centaur parts are carbon. Centaur cassettes are a step above Athena in quality, so I'm not sure that there is any specific order in the line for these two groups.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

6/14/13 7:36 AM

quote:
As for Centaur vs. Athena... IIRC, the latter is all aluminum whereas some Centaur parts are carbon. Centaur cassettes are a step above Athena in quality, so I'm not sure that there is any specific order in the line for these two groups.

The big difference is Athena is 11-speed and Centaur is still 10-speed.

Brian Nystrom

6/15/13 6:47 AM

You're right

I forgot that they had made that change. Athena used to be below Centaur in the line, but now it's just the lowest 11-speed group.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/15/13 7:26 AM

A friend suggested this

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/campagnolo-unveils-80th-anniversary-collection

I think the red accents would work well.

I don't think I could get on that bike with a straight face though....

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

6/15/13 9:06 AM

The " humid-state microsanding on carbon fiber parts", especially on the bottle cage, makes it a must have/Christmas wish list thing. After I pay off the re-finance of the mortgage required to buy the groupo, I'll buy the 2nd matching bottle cage.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/15/13 10:13 AM

I dunno bout carbon bits on such a classic lugged frameset. To each his own and all. ;)

But those last years of Chorus and Record alloy cranksets are beauteous, and alloy ERO levers all polished to match.. yum..

The 10 speed Chorus Cranks I put on the Paramount was about as modern as I could have stood seeing on there. And even Yella Stella has Athena Cranks. Got to admit I am a sucker for Campy alloy cranks.

sanrensho

9/11/13 1:02 PM

Late to this thread. Just installed SRAM Force (1st gen) on my back-up/rain bike as an "upgrade" from 105 (5600). Switched out the shifters/rear derailleur only.

Having used STI from 8 to 10-speed (RSX/Sora/Tiagra all the way up to Dura Ace 7800), the Doubletap shifting is clunkier and less refined/smooth than any STI I have used. Also noisy. Two loud clicks for every downshift? The very idea would have been tossed by a Shimano engineer.

The only advantages appear to be light weight and sleeker shifter profile (less of a knob compared with DA 7800). Perfectly functional but markedly poorer shifting feel/quality compared with STI.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/13/13 5:40 AM

Yes, it's noisier and more "tactile"...

...but so is Campy. Frankly, I don't like the lack of feedback with STI, as it can be hard to tell if it shifted or not and it's too easy to push the downshift too far. It is quiet and refined as you state, but that's not necessarily the best thing for a mechanical system that interfaces with human beings.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -