HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Good 700C road tire reccomentations?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sanrensho

8/6/13 12:54 AM

I will have to be the dissenting opinion and say that Michelin tires (currently I'm riding Pro3s) ride much better than Contis IMO. Durability may be somewhat less, but the superior ride quality is worth it to me.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/6/13 6:37 AM

sealnt

Slime by itself sucks as a bike sealant, but its a good additive to a hombrew mix-I think its too viscous for bike application, but has the solids necessary as a base for a brew. Haven't tried the Specialized. Stan's works, but it can leave "boogers" when it eventually evaporates (they all evaporate, pretty much). Lots of good info here if you have the time-http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/best-tubeless-brew-406115-95.html.

I changed out an older Evo a while back and the tube was adhered to the tire in several spots, obvious places where leaks were patched.

Conti's seem to get the love here, I guess I'm just predjudiced because their tubies ride so harsh compared to Vittorias etc.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Evan Marks

8/6/13 1:41 PM

quote:
Now, does anyone take note of the directional arrows on the sidewall and mount them appropriately?
Yes. You can feel the cornering difference immediately, why, it's almost like motogp.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/6/13 4:33 PM

Directional arrows

Of course, who wouldn't? Plus traditionally the tire logo is on the right side, but sometimes logos are on both requiring the analysis to proceed further. I'm not as confident as Evan that I could tell the difference (but I really don't know because I always check!).

I am not aggressive in corners. I've long said "there is a limit, but I really don't want to find out where it is."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/6/13 5:20 PM

I went and looked at the Rubino Pro I bad mouthed for not holding a line as well as i thought it should have. Yep, arrow the wrong direction, and looking at the angle of the tread I can see how it will matter.

Duh!

Tim123

8/6/13 5:35 PM

The direction arrow does have me somewhat intrigued though, I've read numerous times that it makes no difference, and I doubt I could tell a difference if it did in the real world, so I have to ask why would they bother putting it on there then?
On the Conti's at least, there is actually a difference in the pattern of the tread which may suggest there is at least some intention of directionality, but suspect tyre pressure would have more bearing than any tread pattern on a bicycle tyre.

Having said all that, I do mount them the "correct" way just because, superstition perhaps, and well, like Dan says, why wouldn't you...

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

8/6/13 9:13 PM

I wonder if the directional arrows are not so much to determine which way a tire is mounted as to make sure it is remounted in the same direction each time. I know some radial car tires in the past were fussy about maintaining a direction once established. Perhaps it's the case with bike tires too?

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/7/13 2:58 AM

Marketing gimmick.

High pro car tires are directional. The tread on the bike has the same pattern so people think it would matter. To keep the high performance idea they put the arrows on the sidewall.

I mount them as the arrows say but it is not really needed.

Brian Nystrom

8/7/13 5:31 AM

I had never noticed the arrows...

...but all four of mine were mounted in the recommended direction (what are the odds of that?). The tread - what faint amount there is of it - is asymmetric, but it only contacts the road in corners. I tend to agree that it's somewhat of a gimmick, as it's hard to see how the vestigial tread could make any real difference, let alone what direction it's run in.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

8/7/13 6:58 AM

Different Models?

I just checked the four Vit Rubino Pros I have on two different bikes and none of them have anything like a directional arrow on either sidewall. There are the usual size, max inflation, use on hooked bead rims only and "Made in Thailand" molded lettering but no arrows od any type.

I agree that tread on a road bike tire is not only useless but probably detrimental. It's a cosmetic thing to reassure those who think they are like car tires.

Last edited by Dave B on 8/7/13 7:12 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

8/7/13 11:03 AM

"Vit Rubino Pros I have on two different bikes and none of them have anything like a directional arrow"

Interesting, the 25mm RubPro I got this season have a direction arrow about 1/2 between the 'use on hooked bead' and "Made in Thailand' 180^ of the label.

Dave B

8/7/13 7:11 PM

I just took a real close look at my 700x23's and there is absolutely nothing on the sidewalls anywhere, including in that gap, that looks like an arrow.

Nick Payne

8/7/13 10:03 PM

Jan Heine is now selling Grand Bois tyres with an extra light casing. His web site claims 176g for the 700x26 and 221g for the 700x29. However, at $82 a pop I don't think I'll be bothering. Anyway, when I've bought Grand Bois tyres in the past, I've bought them directly from Grand Bois in Japan, which works out considerably cheaper.

http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_gb_x_leger.html

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -