HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Campy 11 speed ergos on Shimano 9 speed drivetrain

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

6/27/13 10:43 AM

Campy 11 speed ergos on Shimano 9 speed drivetrain

I thought I'd post about this as others may find it interesting. I had read about this online and it offered me a way to start modernizing while retaining my old stuff.

I used the following parts:

Chorus 11 speed ultrashift ergolevers
Old Campy racing triple front derailleur
New Shimano 105 triple rear derailleur
Shimano 9 speed cassette
FSA 10 speed triple crank.
9 speed chain

It shifts perfectly. I have 4 bikes and 6 sets of 9 speed Shimano wheels, so I can still interchange all wheels between all bikes. I need to start updatring my 9 speed Ergos, but I don't like Shimano STI, particularly for the front shifting, as the trim options suck.

The new 11 speed ultrashift double ergolever have 6 clicks for the front derailleur, and do pull enough cable to operate a triple front d , but barely. I did not have to squeeze the front der more narrow or change the clamp location for the cable. They don't pull as much cable as the old ergos did that had 10-11 clicks, but they do pull enough.

The Campy triple specific ergos dont have good trim options and need the dedicated front derailleur and matching 11 sppeed cranks and chain, and I much prefer frankenbikes. Anyway, it works great on the stand, and i'll take it out soon.

I've taken a step into the 11 speed world without actually going there:)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/27/13 12:22 PM

"I've taken a step into the 11 speed world without actually going there"

Cheap Ars. I fully advocate of course.

Is the actual cog spacing exact, or is the top floating DR pulley earning it's keep? Where is that table...

Seems those crafty devils at Campy have designed a variable cog spacing >10 speed. Wonder of the cable pull is non linear as well?

dfcas

6/27/13 12:35 PM

Seems exact, and I think campy has linear travel. I like getting the new shifters and one day, when the consumables drift downstream, I'll upgrade to 11 speed. Not interested in $300 cassettes.

dan emery

6/27/13 12:47 PM

I dunno Dan

I think you need to get 6 pairs of eleven speed wheels in order to maximize your investment in the shifters. You're being pound wise and penny foolish here...:)

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

6/28/13 1:00 AM

I believe that Moulton sell, or certainly used to sell, some of their bike with exactly that configuration - Campagnolo Ergo 11 shifters and Shimano 9s derailleur/cassette.

There's an article on the CTC web site that lists the possible combinations of different speed and manufacturer and how well they work: http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo . According to that, the difference in cable pull between Shimano 9 shifters and Campagnolo 11 shifters is 0.1mm per gear. That's the same as the difference between Shimano 7- and 8-speed, and when Shimano went from 7-speed to 8-speed, I never had the slightest problem using 7-speed derailleurs with 8-speed Ultegra barend or STI shifters, so on that basis the Shimpagnolo 9/11 setup should work fine.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/28/13 9:36 AM

Pretty sure Walter is up on the Campy 10-11 as it pertains to the discussion. Hope he pops in.

But apparently the spacers are different/narrower for the top cogs. I dunno if the ratio in the shifter changes. Perhaps this is why it worked, as the spacing is NOT the same as the Shimano, but catches up due to the spacing being variable.

Better watch it cleaning your C 10-11 cassettes with this and not mix up where the spacers go! if all the browsing is correct that is.

Nick Payne

6/28/13 3:04 PM

There is also this: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/12/interchange-shimano-campy-11-speed-cassettes-save-your-wheels/

Reply to topic    

April

6/28/13 7:38 PM

quote:
The Campy triple specific ergos dont have good trim options and need the dedicated front derailleur and matching 11 speed cranks and chain

I'm missing something here...

Does the current incarnation of Campy triple shifter only has 3 poistions?

(I have the "old ergo" shifter that has LOTS of clicks, it's currently shifting a Shimano triple)

dfcas

6/29/13 10:11 AM

Campy shifters have gone through a lot of changes and its very confusing. There is Quickshift, powershift?, and ultrashift. The ultrashift are sold as a double but have 6 clicks and pull enough cable to operate a triple. The new Athena/centaur triple and indexed ala Shimano and have fewer click/trim options. The right shifters vary also as some are only 1 shift at a time in one direction but more in the other. Its an undecipherable mess.And its different for different years.

I do wonder why.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -