HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Saddle derailling

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

6/22/13 6:24 PM

Saddle derailling

I have a relatively new, quite comfortable Selle San Marco Caymano saddle that has noisy rails. The rails move in their sockets and creak with every pedal stroke. I have dribbled gear lube down the saddle rails and let it soak into the sockets (front and back) for hours and all that does is make things a little quieter but the rails still shift around and make noises. I can easily get the rails to move by applying a little lift or twisting force on the saddle.

I'm thinking the only way to solve this would be to remove the saddle from the rails, clean out the now-contaminated rail sockets, put some silicone caulk or Permatex gasket gunk in there, and reassemble the saddle.

I'm looking for advice on how to accomplish this or perhaps other ideas on how to quiet this saddle. I'm guessing it will take a LOT of force to remove the rails from the saddle. I'm worried about how to apply that force, how to avoid bending the rails, and how to avoid damaging the saddle in the process.

Any ideas will be appreciated. I am a big fan of quiet bikes and this is driving me a bit nuts.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/22/13 6:35 PM

I would clean/flush any and all petroleum out and try silicon myself. Dawn and hot water to clean, hair drier or lay out in sun to get moisture to evaporate out. The spray silicon lube and hope for the best.

Else maybe put the rails out and mod the holes in the saddle so that some sort of bushing might be used. Nylon etc.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

6/23/13 4:39 AM

I've tried replacing the rails on saddles...

...and unless they're designed to come apart (like some Fizik models with a removable nose piece), it can be an exercise in frustration and futility. Saddle factories use specialized machinery to spring the frames into the shell and you cannot easily duplicate their function at home. My recommendation is don't try it.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

6/23/13 9:30 AM

+1

+1 on Brian's comment. It seems almost impossible to me.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/23/13 7:15 PM

Impossibility

Your responses are what I feared. I had ideas floating around about maybe clamping one rail in an old seat post and using the post as a lever to pull the rail out but anything I could think of seemed to put huge forces on the rails, threatening to either bend/break the rail or damage the plastic saddle base.

Another idea I had was to drill a hole through the plastic to the end of the rail, flush solvent in there, and then inject Permatex or silicone. But I couldn't envision what kind of device would work to develop enough pressure to inject the goop.

Please somebody throw me some hope!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/24/13 5:16 AM

Try one test

With the saddle off the post, try squeezing and flexing the rails to see if they squeak. What I've found is that most often, the noise is coming from where the rails are clamped by the seatpost. You can also try a post with a different clamp configuration to see if that helps.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

6/24/13 9:39 AM

same with SI Flite Ti

I had an older Selle Italia Flite Ti that developed creeking problems like that and I tried similar to what you did with no success. In my case, the noise resulted from where the rail rested inside the saddle material and not from the junction of the rails with the seatpost clamp. It got irritating enough that ended up buying a new Flite Ti saddle.

I though about experimenting with injecting a very low-vis epoxy, but never did anything more with the saddle before I eventually trashed it.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/24/13 10:15 AM

There's Hope!

New saddle. Life's too short. Sometimes you have to let go...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/24/13 3:47 PM

It's like your favorite shoes, you wear them out fastest because you use them most. ;)

KerryIrons

6/24/13 7:03 PM

A miracle

I don't know if it's sustainable (and Murphy would strongly suggest that it's not) but after a month or so of noise, the saddle was quiet on today's ride. Maybe just talking about what I was considering doing to it cowed it into silence.

I hear you about a new saddle but I and SUCH a tightwad that tossing a virtually new saddle is simply beyond the pale for me.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/25/13 4:15 AM

Keep your fingers crossed

Hopefully you have successfully applied one of my favored techniques for eliminating clicks, creaks, etc.: Keep riding and hope it goes away.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/25/13 5:16 AM

Believe it or not...

...I've noticed that humidity makes a significant difference in some cases, though typically I've noticed more creaks (from the bike, at least) when the humidity is higher.

It may also be that the lubricant you added finally worked its way in completely.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/25/13 11:08 AM

"It may also be that the lubricant you added finally worked its way in completely."

And/or is eating the plastic so the rails are more loose in the shell now. I am always reluctant to use PetroDists in contact with plastic.

KerryIrons

6/25/13 7:04 PM

Oil and plastic

quote:
I am always reluctant to use PetroDists in contact with plastic.

Then can we assume that you don't use oil on your chain in case it might get on all those plastic bits on your bike? Or let grease get anywhere near your CF derailleur body or brake levers? Have you noticed what oil is sold in?

There are PLENTY of plastics that are basically impervious to oil. Bike saddles come to mind.

Reply to topic    

PLee

6/26/13 4:33 AM

Fair warning, folks. This is well within Kerry's area of expertise! (I have to admit that I thought about not posting this to see what other comments might be made . . . . ;-) . . .)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/26/13 9:09 AM

I guess if the saddle base is made of the same plastic as derailleur pullys. I would not know how to tell though...

But is seems like saddle bases are a lot softer plastic. I say that having cut a diamond hole in most of mine.

Not ever drilliumized a pully, I confess. Not that would really shoe me anything beyind it is probably a lot harder plastic than the saddle bases I have cobbled.

Andy M-S

6/26/13 11:55 AM

Next time you buy oil

...check to see what the container is made out of. Or chain lube.

Sparky

6/26/13 1:14 PM

Again, if the plastic is made for that, fine. I fully recognize some are. I am not going to risk a saddle myself. And I have no idea what plastic is going to do what with which distillates. Point made I hope. ;)

The MSD I can read on the chems, how to tell what plastic the base of the saddle is made of, and how that material will react with the... Done. ;)

Andy M-S

6/26/13 1:39 PM

Plastic

There may well be a recycling symbol on the bottom of the saddle, enclosing an abbreviation or number. From that, you can tell what kind of plastic you have to deal with.

KerryIrons

6/27/13 6:45 PM

Symbolism

quote:
There may well be a recycling symbol on the bottom of the saddle

Chances of that are approximately zero. If anyone can find such a symbol on their saddle base I would be gobsmacked.

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

6/27/13 7:58 PM

quote:
There may well be a [...] symbol on the bottom of the saddle, enclosing an abbreviation or number. From that, you can tell
the year and month of manufacture.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -