HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

This is Redonkulous

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

6/18/13 3:37 PM

This is Redonkulous

Welcome to New Haven. The Portland of the East. At least in inches of rainfall...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/18/13 3:49 PM

I think there is already a Portland in the east... ;)

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/18/13 4:25 PM

I had 10-12 inches in two weeks a few weeks ago due to the TSA and daily thunderstorms. I emptied my pool every day and the entire neighborhood had septic problems. Ewe. It seems to have dried some finally.

Sparky

6/18/13 4:36 PM

It really mostly drizzles here. Although occasionally downpours, short ones occur. I assume each year is different. Early spring 2012 after we got the house I got my truck stuck in the yard, and the yard already had some deep ruts from a failed attempt to remove the 1965ish Cargo Suburbany carcass. I waited until 6/2012 to have it removed. It has been non swampy since.

Matthew Currie

6/18/13 5:02 PM

Well, if New Haven is merely the Portland of the East it's sure come up in the world since we moved out, cuz in my family it was always considered the anus of creation.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

6/18/13 5:37 PM

Always look on the bright side of life...

Here in Manchester we had a rainbow in the eastern sky three afternoons in a row.

Steve B.

6/18/13 5:48 PM

I'm not complaining.

I have not yet needed to turn on the sprinkler system.

I turned on the central A/C last year in late April. So far this year I've run it 3 days.

I've been able (due to flexi work schedule) to get in at least 10 riding days in April, another 10 in May (was away a week) and now 12 this month, so far.

SB

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/19/13 3:55 AM

@Matthew

My parents lived here in the mid-50s, and whenever they wanted to talk about a bad place, it was "New Haven." My brother and I took away this image of a dark, satanic pit. I came here five years ago, and you know what? It's not all that bad. I'm told there have been vast improvements since the '70s, and I've certainly lived in worse places (e.g. Schenectady). But it's no longer worthy of the term "anus." Not quite.

@Sparky: Yeah, I should've thought of that.

Overall, it's just unbelievable how much rain has been coming down. I'm getting in plenty of riding (fenders help) but the amount of rain we've had THIS YEAR is crazy. And fits (oh oh) with the amount of snow we had this past winter.

lrzipris

6/19/13 5:59 AM

Lots of rain here in the Philadelphia area. In fact, we're approaching a record for June. But another atmospheric phenomenon is the wind. There have been many episodes of high, gusty winds. Many of my rides have been "uphill" into the wind.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

6/19/13 7:55 AM

Well, it's been a while since I went back to New Haven. I was born there, and lived for a while in a pretty slummy part of it, and my dad, who died in 1973, returned in the 60's to get a degree, and later to teach there. As a close observer of the radical town-gown divide that continued to prevail there, his opinion stayed pretty low even though he worked well out of the center. My sister, who died in 1976, was a patient at Yale New Haven hospital, one of whose amusing quirks was (even if you had complete insurance) handing a departing patient a bill for everything, prominently marked "Past Due" with warnings suggesting impending collection if it was not paid before it was issued. When my car was broken into and its entire contents stolen along with irreparable damage, the policeman's comment was, "yeah, the kids are Christmas shopping," and that ended the matter for them. But yes, no doubt it's improved, and if I don't actually have to go there I'll take your word for it. If it's raised its status to "armpit" level, congratulations are in order.

At least it's not Detroit.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/19/13 8:19 AM

Armpit is about right.

Like I said, I've seen a lot worse. But there's still a town/gown split, and a rich/poor split even wider. But the bike culture is good (The Devil's Gear is a fantastic shop), the food and arts culture is good, the roads are terrible, and Yale New Haven Hospital, where I spent a good while almost a year ago, still sucks (at least, from a patient's perspective). I live just over the Hamden line in Spring Glen (the "poor side" off Whitney), so I get (sort of) the best and worst of both worlds, but mostly the best.

This discussion reminded me of my opinion of Schenectady, where I lived for nine years. I wanted to take all of the "Schenectady--a nice place to live" signs at the city limits a change them to read "Schenectady--eh, seen worse".

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -