HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Interesting new Maine Law

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

6/18/13 2:54 PM

Interesting new Maine Law

I have not read the law yet, but this summary, from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, of a new Maine law is interesting. I'll be interested to see how the "prima facie" concept is actually implemented in the statute (probably the initial conclusion can be rebutted). But this sounds interesting to me.

>>We have some great news to share: on Friday, June 14, LD 1460, "A Bill To Revise Maine Bicycle Law," became Maine State Law! This bill, introduced by the Coalition and sponsored by Rep. Erik Jorgensen of Portland, marks a major effort to rejuvenate the Coalition's legislative tradition.

Here's what LD 1460 does for you:
• The operator of the bicycle determines where it is safest and most "practicable" to ride on a roadway. This common sense change clarifies that when a bicyclist feels the need to use a travel lane (for example, because a shoulder is not in safe condition), the bicyclist has a clear legal right to do so.
• A collision of a passing car with a bicycle is "prima facie" evidence of a violation of the three-foot law. If the car hits the bike, it didn't give three feet! The Coalition hopes that this change will encourage more citations for violations of the three-foot law, whether or not a collision occurs.
• Cars may not make turns in front of bicycles when doing so interferes with the safe and legal operation of a bicycle.
For the complete text of the law, please check out the Coalition website.<<

Reply to topic    

DPotter

6/18/13 3:11 PM

LePage will veto it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/18/13 3:21 PM

Oregon does not say 3'

they say:

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a 'safe distance' means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver's lane of traffic.

Which ambiguously means what legally?
6'4" when thew rider is 6' tall and the riders feet are 4" off the ground on the [low] pedals ?? If standing on the pedals a mid stroke 6'10" ?? ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

6/18/13 5:06 PM

Man, I wish a law like that existed in Vermont. Maybe my lawsuit would be settled before I die.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -