HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Grand Canyon ??
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JohnC

3/23/13 7:09 PM

Hey, Steve. Thanks for mentioning the Colin Fletcher books. They are terrifically interesting. He was quite a character, and a very lucid writer.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

3/23/13 9:26 PM

very fit looking guy in running shorts

quote:
there was a very fit looking guy in running shorts and shoes who said he was going to run down to the river and back that day

Was he carrying lots of water? If not, he is an idiot.

Actually, running rim-to-rim and back nonstop was one of my fantasy goals before I realized I wasn't a very good runner.

I've done the down-and-back hike in the heat of summer. Over 100F low down in the GC. I was conservative. I carried enough water to get there and back without needing water (which I knew was available). I could have lightened my load and gone much faster. But I didn't go fast. I took hundreds of pictures, relaxed and had my beer at Phantom Ranch, and still made it back up before dark. I think it's easily within the capabilities of most folk on this forum.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/24/13 4:09 AM

Completeness

I read The Complete Walker back in the early '70s, around the same time I read The Complete Book of Bicycling by Eugene Sloane. Both were written with a passion for their subject probably more important than the technical detail, and both have stayed with me.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

3/24/13 6:06 AM

"Hey, Steve. Thanks for mentioning the Colin Fletcher books. They are terrifically interesting. He was quite a character, and a very lucid writer."

Welcome

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -