JayPee

1/5/13 4:00 PM

Need Cyclocomputer Advice

Needs: Full range of on bike data
Full range of altitude & grade
Full HR response

Downloadable to PC
Softwware to compile stats.

Ciclo makes the one I use but its on its last legs and they are not US based.

What say the peloton?

Reply to topic    

henoch

1/5/13 5:22 PM

Garmin edge 500 or maybe the 200.
Timex also makes one that competes with the edge 500 and is a bit cheaper.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/5/13 5:58 PM

Garmin$$$

500 or 800

Or just do like me and use a cheap one on the bar and my iPhone using Strava tracks the rest.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

1/5/13 6:19 PM

Garmin 200 doesn't do HR, and it shows elevation gain/loss but not % gradient. The elevation gain shown while riding is pretty much of an approximation, as it's always higher than the value shown on Garminconnect once the data is uploaded and the elevations corrected using survey data.

I used to run a couple of Ciclosport units with altimeters and gradient indication - a 436M and a HAC4, and on both of them the gradient indication was an approximation at best - I could be riding up a constant gradient hill and the gradient indication on the units would fluctuate by several percent. On one mountain in Switzerland, when I rode up it the HAC4 told me that the max gradient on the way up was 23%. When I turned around and rode back down the same road, at the bottom it reported that the max gradient on the descent was 36%...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/5/13 8:45 PM

Garmin is about to release a 510 and 810 new models. But I'm not sure what they offer. Harmon's are nice if you have multiple bikes just buy extra mounts and go.

mag7

1/5/13 11:42 PM

Wifey just got one of these and likes it a lot.
https://motoactv.com/home/page/cycling.html

Polar 200 is my choice.

greglepore

1/6/13 10:04 AM

hey JayPee-haven't phones and apps made computers obsolete?

The motoactive is cool, as is the garmin, but if you don't need the gps they are pricy. Don't see anything downloadable w/o the gps though. Runkeeper app does what you want, as does Strave, but require a bluetooth hrm (only around 40 bucks on ebay) or in the case of strava ant+sensors plus a dongle.

henoch

1/6/13 3:31 PM

Here is that Timex
http://www.timex.com/watches/cycle-trainer-20-gps-bike-computer-t5k615f5

Reply to topic    

JayPee

1/7/13 11:44 AM

Hey GregPhones are for phone calls, aren't they?

- At least mine is. Without a data plan, even texting is pay as you go :-]

I don't need GPS, and despite the error noted in ascent % of my HAC4 [usually limited to point/spot data], I like the way it performs. AFAIK, GPS based spot % probably isn't any more reliable and subject to interference from trees anyway.

The timex unit sounds doable, even if it does include GPS and is downloadable and with ANT + based speed measurement seems like a decent unit.

Who knows, maybe I'll even grow to like GPS . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/7/13 12:09 PM

This year will be my first with smart phone. Being I already take the cell on bike in case.. I may as well use it. The GPS is SO much better than my Magellan that I paid for life time free updates with it is a joke. I would lug that on the bike early on here when exploring new routes etc. Chuncky pocket fodder though... But the battery last a god while in use.

I needed the hotspot/Tethering for my work, thus the smart phone, but I avoided txt and data for a long while.

Actually, my last phone had a $10.00 mo. data unlimited, it was a dumb phone, but I used google map app. It was more kludgy than my Magellan and last resort use.

I may try the Strava when the season starts...

Spent my 1st Computrainer time yesterday. This pinched femoral nerve recovery is a long bout and unexpected shitty surprise. But I should be glad I am doing it in the winter.

Best part is Elaine is doing the CT with me, dual setup was a wise investment. I am looking for a light touring frame for her already. ;) If by riding season Elaine is my riding partner, it will be a dream come true for me.

Looking at a Miyata 210 frameset, later triple butted variety. And I grabbed a Trek 620 off Craigslist last week which fits me. Maybe some CC touring in our futures? Fingers crossed. X

Andy M-S

1/7/13 12:51 PM

Cell Phone GPS

My new Nokia/WP8 device came with off-line GPS, which is a nice change, since AT&T charges two arms and half a leg for cellular data. Now I can switch data off and still have a working navigation system. Since I have a dynohub, all I need to do is to add a USB option to that and I can navigate as long as I want for free!!!! Hahahahahahahahaha!

henoch

1/7/13 4:06 PM

Sigma

Sigma makes some nice ones as well
http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/rox_wireless/rox_91/?punkt=features/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/7/13 5:52 PM

My google maps apps uses data on AT and it is miniscule use. There is also an ATT GPS choice for NAV when you tell Goolge to do turn by turn mode. I choose the Google choice. I dunno if the ATT choice uses more or not. But I admit I am an infant smart phone wise....

sandiway

1/8/13 3:35 PM

future is cellphones + low power BT

Future is cellphone + low power bluetooth (4.0). You can get maps for your smartphone that work offline. Example: I have Navigon (on test).

iPhone 4S and 5 have this but not iPhone 4. Sensors will be bluetooth 4.0 increasingly because ANT+ didn't achieve penetration in the smartphone market.

Example, I just got a heart rate strap (Wahoo) that broadcasts using bluetooth 4.0. Soon all sensors, e.g. powermeters and speed/cadence etc will end up using BT 4.0.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/8/13 4:43 PM

Garmin screwed up and did not make their new 510 and 810 BT4.0 compatible. Dc rainmaker pretty much slammed them in his review for this. I just want a dis[lay I can read.

JayPee

1/18/13 7:58 AM

Intial Use Update

Picked up the Timex Cycle-Trainer-20-gps-bike-computer-t5k615f5 Got a decent deal on it at Amazon - $50 off the $300 list and used it to purchase the [theoretically unnecessary] Ant + speed sensor [since it also includes a cadence sensor].

I've only mounted it on my winter road machine - Yeah, Greg, its still the Trek 5200 for a single ride. Have not used the Ant + yet as further rides have been limited by shitty weather permeating the NE in recent week or so. The GPS feature doesn't seem to provide on board traccking - or I haven't figured out how - but using the on-line Training Peaks software will let you display after-the- fact map of where you've been.

Not sure of the value of that as I can do that with RideWithGPS & MapMyRide post ride plotting by hand or data upload. Speaking of on-line . .

Seems I need to upload my data to read/analyze the results in detail - other than basic reports of ave speed etc.

Don't feel like spending >$100 bucks on WKO etc for training plan deve tools either.

Anything Else out there that can read my data and let me analyze off-line?

Reply to topic    

henoch

1/18/13 9:31 AM

Why not just keep it online, with ridewith gps or something?.

Reply to topic    

JayPee

1/18/13 11:48 AM

Old School

Ludditeness?

Just seems I have more control when things are locally based.

Apparently the industry recognizes it as there are more than one DL's offerred . . .for substantial bux each.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/19/13 8:34 AM

Jaypee, not sure exactly what your after, but take a look at Golden Cheetah-believe its mostly for power analysis, but it might work...

That Trek refuses to die, eh? I'm on a hand me down Madone these days, so we're both on gifted Treks. Had a crash on the Anvil a couple months back and rebroke my arm, but bike was unscratched.

JayPee

2/28/13 3:02 PM

Hmm, seems like a trend . .

" Had a crash . . a couple months back and rebroke my arm." And it wasn't even a on a Dugattie [sp] or anything exciting?

I'll look at that software but I am coming around to using the training peaks software on-line. It has way more training stuff than I need - I just like to look at and think about how the HR reacted in relation to the terrain and speed mostly and the tools are not revisable to suit my fussy eyes but it works.

The unit - by the way - is way more than plenty for what I need .

Thanks to those who suggested it and all who offered ideas.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

2/28/13 6:19 PM

Will this inclinometer gadget help any?

Warning... ...NOT hi-tech, but then again, pretty light!
http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Mounti-Inclinometer-26-0-Diameter/dp/B000PHO6K8

or, for oversize bars:
http://www.factoryitalia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=63&language=en

Reply to topic    

JayPee

3/9/13 1:50 PM

I LOVE Skimounti

Never understood why a graduated level should cost that much but , hey, if yer 'puter don't do slope, this is the bomb.

Anyway, the Timex CycleTrainer coupled to the ANT + Speed/Cadence sensor provides me all the data I need. The data is well received by Greg's reco of the Golden Cheetah software.

Hey Greg, its not about lights - tho watts <b>are</b> the main focus :-]

Great analytics even if you don't have a power input for it.

Hey, this is so nice I might have to start using one just to see the software in full bloom!!

Once again Greg, you've put me onto the good stuff.

Thanx

Reply to topic    

dddd

3/12/13 12:14 PM

"...its still the Trek 5200 for a single ride..."

These bikes are soooo prolific now in the used marketplace, an all-time bargain.

I've bought a handful of these, some labeled LeMond, and they've all been perfect, frameset-wise, ...some barely used.
I actually bought two more just this weekend, $300 and $350 respectively, one with a silver-painted Campag gruppo, Xenon maybe?

Typically, these bikes goes up for sale after one or both shifters show first signs of gumming up in cold weather, so I expect to do ~two hours work fixing up all shifters, cables and tape.
Around 2000, they went to 1-1/8" Aheadsets, but they all handle fine.
I have yet to buy one newer than 2002.

Anyway, these bikes still seem to do everything right after all these years, they just don't hit the scale so light in today's terms I guess.
Oh, and about half of them come with working computers and new tires.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/12/13 1:28 PM

"about half of them come with working computers and new tires"

Last ditch efforts not to buy a new bike with a little spit and polish..

I never liked the way they felt, dead. But they are all great bikes except the very early one which had BB issues. First 2-3 years I think before they fixed that.
The weight is not popular in contemporary terms.

I did like the Y-Foil I had for a few years, concrete BB and all day comfort on bumpy roads... ;) I put a Ruby on it for my busted body bike, while recovering from the left side body busting and clav multiplication from one to 7 pieces in 2000. ;)

It was over 20 lb FWIW. Today I would not care about that, then I sure did...

greglepore

3/13/13 10:45 AM

Happy to be of assistance..:)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -