HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Snow/Fat bikes

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

12/27/12 8:45 AM

Snow/Fat bikes

I've been interested in these since the Pugsley first came out some years ago. I have no need for one since weve only had one winter in that time that had enough snow to make it feasable to own one, but I still want one. I've been researching lately since some friends got Moonlanders and I'm thinking about getting one before next winter.

Anyone else have an interest and suggestions as to which way to go? fat or waay fat?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

12/27/12 9:08 AM

What is like outside window on tire size for one which qualifies as waay fat?

My rotational mass anus is in a sphincter lock just contemplating it. ;)

dfcas

12/27/12 10:42 AM

The moo lander comes with 4.7 inch bfl big fat Larry tires. These are 120tpi very supple and surprisingly lighter than you would expect. I rode a friends and it did not ride that heavy. I do wonder why as it weighs 35 lbs. the breakthrough weight target is 30 lbs to be in the ultralight family, but this requires a carver carbon fork.

Dave B

12/27/12 11:50 AM

Moonlander

I vote for the waaaay fat Moonlander. Since neither it nor the Pugsley, or any of their competators can remotely be considered performance bikes you might as well get the widest tires and most versatility available. It doesn't seem to give up anything useful to the smaller tire bikes and has capabilities they can't match. Why not go for it?

dfcas

12/27/12 12:16 PM

The Moonlander seems to be the most popular now, and the trend is toward ever wider tires. Surprisingly, it costs more than a Salsa Mukluk, which is an (heavy) aluminum frame. The Salsa Beargrease is the lighter aluminum frame and comes with an aluminum fork.

The bike I rode had the BFL's pumped up to 12psi which is pretty high. he said for snow they run 5-6 PSI. I do wonder how many strokes it takes from a frame pump to inflate a 4.7 inch tire.

dfcas

12/27/12 12:19 PM

I also wonder if one can even sense a difference in frame material with a 4.7 inch tire. The make a Salsa Mukluk in ti but I can't make any sense out of that. I wonder if the cromo Surlys ride any different than the aluminum Salsas..??

Sparky

12/27/12 3:04 PM

" I wonder if the cromo Surlys ride any different than the aluminum Salsas..??"

At those tire pressures, I don't see how it could make a difference what the frame is made out of.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -